Fuqua Livery Stable

  • Fuqua Livery Stable

Fuqua Livery Stable

Name: Fuqua Livery Stable

Location: 110 E. Washington Ave.

Use: Painting, drawing, beading, and mixed media workshops, plus one studio rental

Constructed: 1880

Renovated: 2008

Architect: Peter Stewart

Audio Narration: Jenn Cram

Description:

The false-fronted barn where J.P. Fuqua stabled horses years ago leaned so far to the south in recent years, its windows were at sidewalk level. After careful disassembly and reconstruction, the building’s interior walls are now glass, through which the historic details of the original barn can be viewed. The work was made possible by a grant from the State Historic Fund and the Town of Breckenridge, and in 2009 earned the prestigious Steven H. Hart award for historic preservation. While the horse stalls and hayloft remain intact, the Fuqua Livery Stable is now used for painting, drawing, beading, and mixed media workshops several times a week. In addition, open studio hours feature demonstrations by a local artist in residence.